Sunday, July 10, 2016

GNEW XXX

Hmm GNEW XXX. Imagine if it was still called the S&M War this year . . . I'm amazed I didn't hear that joke at all.

It was a wet and weird weekend. We attended with the singular focus of getting rid of stress that mundane life has piled on us.Let's face it, our intentions were a teensy bit (read: a great deal) self-centered.
(Sorry, no pictures this time around. Just Wall O'Text)

Since I'm still broken, my only intention was to marshal the rapier field all day on Saturday. But as I mentioned, it was a wet one. Many of the scheduled events were rained out, but some fencers stuck through the rain for some pick-ups. At least until it started to pour. Marshaling went well, and any issues that came were resolved quickly and easily. A couple flying tips, a broken dagger, some misunderstood melee rules. Everyone was very courteous on the field, and acted very honorable. Even when the one cringe-worthy event occurred, it was handle with honor and care from both ends.

I also got marshal my first authorization. And I was very happy to pass the person with flying colors. They were authorizing in single for the first time, and if I hadn't known I would have thought it was a reauth for someone who had been fencing for a few years now. It was clean and we had no bad things to tell the fencer. That makes happy marshals.

The Master Gregory Finche Memorial Cut & Thrust Tournament was full of all the feels (not a phrase I use lightly). I made a cloak which Frasier used for his entry, with a 1 hour session on "How to Use the Damned Thing" to go with it. I was really happy with the movement of the cloak, but there were components of the construction I wish I had had more time to fix. I finished it at 10pm the night before we left (with about 10 hours total put into it), and we left at 830am. When I finished, we had not yet even started packing, so I had to settle for a product I was not 100% OK with. But the crazy thing is it was actually picked as first prize! Since only about three people had known I made it, I know it was picked because of the "How to Use the Damned Thing" bit, but I was still super happy that I was picked first. Not only that, but it was picked with the only idea being to donate it to the Royal Travel Fund Auction. I'm pretty excited about that. I'm not sure I want to know how much it sells for, though. It would either make me feel upset, or inflate my ego far more than it needs to be.

I do love making cloaks, though. I'll be making one to send down to Brennan & Caoilfhionn's Ducal Challenge next month, in case anyone needs an entry. I might actually record progress on this one and make a post about it, since I forgot to with the one for Master Gregory's Tournament. I am also willing to make cloaks specifically for people. So if you're looking for a cloak, we can hammer out some details. I'm not what you would call "an embroiderer" (hmm, maybe I should learn that . . . ), I just build plain cloaks that can be worn and used in combat.

Mýrún finally received her AoA, which was awesome. I had been plotting this with Remy for months, and then she found out about it 3 weeks ago when I was trying to figure out dogsitters. But it made it a bit easier to make sure she was at court, since she was so miserable with all the rain that she wouldn't have gone to court if she hadn't known. 

It was a long court, but a good one. There was something very clever done at this event that I'm not sure was intentional, but it's headcannon now. There were 4 peerages done: one Knighting and three Laurels. At a war, you expect martial awards, but there seemed to have been a larger focus on non-combat awards this weekend. Even in awards that were not peerages, there were not too many give out that were combat compared to the non-combat awards. That was a nice twist.

As far as stress went, the weekend did what was intended. We were able to forget our mundane issues for a couple days, and decompress. Unfortunately the weather caused us to stress in other ways, so getting home we felt it necessary to decompress again. But we have lovely friends who are taking care of us, so that even when we got home we still felt good about the weekend. And the weather issues has already left us. So we have a nice little high from the weekend that neither of us want to let go of. 

All-in-all, a much-needed good weekend. I'd like to do it once more, with less weather. 

~Teo

No comments:

Post a Comment